It is a fact that many people are getting health problems due to eating non-nutritious foods. The problems of diabetes, hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases are not only prevalent here in the Philippines but the whole world. Also, unhealthy foods are in part responsible for the growing number of obese persons who are most predisposed to having these ailments.
I found out from my researches these health tips that may help prevent the occurrence, or, lessen the chances of having the above mentioned diseases.
- Eating of fiber-rich foods. These foods are good sources of vitamins and minerals. Vegetables, fruits and whole grains are fiber-rich foods that provide the body energy for your day-to-day activities. Fiber-rich foods also aid in weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight because they contain low calories. It is advisable to consume more fruits and vegetables such as green leafy vegetables and legumes because these are nutritious and filling.
Green, leafy vegetables and grains are most helpful especially for diabetic and hypertensive people. Also, eating a diet rich in vegetables and vegetables as a part of an ideally healthy diet may protect from certain types of cancer.
- When eating meat, it is ideal to choose lean meats and poultry meat without the skin. The recommended serving portion of meat products should also be followed.
- Select only nonfat or low-fat dairy food products.
- Eating more fish. These are good sources of protein and contain healthy unsaturated fats that promote a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Including different kinds of foods in your diet. A wide variety of foods helps you get the needed nutrients. Get most of the essential vitamin and mineral from foods and not from food supplements. While supplements may help you, it cannot replace the nourishment obtained from foods.
- Reduction in the consumption of foods with high sugar content like white bread, chocolates, and soda drinks. Also minimize consumption of salty snack foods and chips.
A 12-ounce can of soda has more or less 150 calories, and if you consume 1 can every day, you are predisposed to having diabetes, especially if it runs in your family. Also, these foods are one of the causes of the obesity problem that is getting more common nowadays.
- Eating of smaller serving portion especially carbohydrates- rich foods. When eating out, ordering large servings should be avoided. Excess calories in the body can result to weight gain that may lead to health problems.
- Lessen consumption of processed and fast foods. Often times, these foods are cooked using hydrogenated vegetable oils that are high in trans-fat which raise the level of the bad cholesterol in the circulatory system and increased a person’s risk for heart disease. It is better to use olive or canola oil when cooking because these are healthy oils.
Our food intake is one of the most important factors affecting our health. This is one aspect that we can control. Remember, our health is our most precious wealth…
A healthy diet provides all the necessary nutrients we need to maintain robust health and wellness. So, be healthy by eating nutritious foods!
If you find this article useful, click Like Quirksoflife on Facebook.